Cherepanov

A discussion forum for the exchange of intelligent points of view. (NO FLAMING PLEASE)

Moderators: puck, EddieShack

Cherepanov

Postby Cable » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:48 pm

With the passing of another young hockey player, one has to wonder if the AJHL will take proactive steps to limiting the amount of stimulants teams allow their players to take. Several junior hockey players injest several Red Bull type drinks before games, with effederine supplements, sudafed or caffeine pills.

Combine that with a weak heart and a hockey game, and you have a disaster.
Cable
Novice

Advertisement

Advertisement

Postby toddr37 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:12 pm

My condolences to his family.

The question I was wondering, is (and it might be an obvious yes, I don't know) Does the AJHL have a mandatory rule about having working defibulaters at every arena? In a situation like what happened yesterday, Time is most importiant factor. No one knows when something like this could happen. Don't you think every team should be prepared, just incase somebody's heart stops beating.

Another thing that the league should mandate is an ambulance and a set of paremectics at every game. Not just for heart attacks, but I remember last month in Brooks. John Stimson was knocked out, and it took an ambulance quite a while to get to the arena, considering the hospital is only like a block and a half away from the rink.

Come on. A persons life is at stake.
toddr37
Bantam

Postby HockeyRocks9 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:19 pm

toddr37 wrote:My condolences to his family.

The question I was wondering, is (and it might be an obvious yes, I don't know) Does the AJHL have a mandatory rule about having working defibulaters at every arena? In a situation like what happened yesterday, Time is most importiant factor. No one knows when something like this could happen. Don't you think every team should be prepared, just incase somebody's heart stops beating.

Another thing that the league should mandate is an ambulance and a set of paremectics at every game. Not just for heart attacks, but I remember last month in Brooks. John Stimson was knocked out, and it took an ambulance quite a while to get to the arena, considering the hospital is only like a block and a half away from the rink.

Come on. A persons life is at stake.

Good call Toddr.
It's sad that this happened to such a talented young player, but at the same time we need to do everything in our power as a league to make sure the players in the AJHL are all safe while participating in rinks around the province.
HockeyRocks9
Midget

Postby Zippy » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:04 pm

Cherapanov should not have even been playing according to reports out of Russia. He had a heart condition (ischemia). Number 2 or 3 in team scoring so just keep him playing, regardless of health I guess.
Zippy
Midget

Cherepanov

Postby What Ever » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:14 pm

I can recall back in the late 70's and early 80's St. John's people were at every Saint home game even though our team at one time was partly owned by Dr. Plageman who attended every home game. I am not sure if it was mandatory to have them there but they were and even had their own room at Akinsdale at the South end of the concession area. I too would love to see a defibulator at every AJHL venue and someone there that knew how to use just in case of an emergency. I don't think it would be to hard for every team could come up with a sponsor to purchase the unit.
What Ever
Hall Of Famer

Postby Turkey » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:41 am

Agree with the defibrillator idea. Absolutely, 100%. But disagree with league-mandated ambulances on site. There isn't one at MY worksite, why should there be one at a hockey player's worksite? Just my opinion, of course.
Turkey
Hockey Guru

Advertisement

Advertisement

Cherepanov

Postby What Ever » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:34 am

Well put turkey. Paramedics are usually just a short distance away from all arenas. Our health care costs are high enough now. The only thing Golden in the Golden Years is the color of your wee wee.
What Ever
Hall Of Famer

Postby BUCK 75 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:03 pm

The Cherapanov incident was a catastrophic break down, an ambulance shows up & the batteries are dead in the defibrillator (allegedly)?!?!?

Accidents happen, this was a disaster from the beginning from what I have read, remember this is Russia - not Canada. Watch the youtube video..could you imagine a goat & pony show like that happening at ANY arena in NA? Carrying the guy off w/o a stretcher?!?!? Playing music like nothing happened?!?!? People clapping like they think nothing is wrong?!?!?
youtube wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWqcB-AB5-U

What Ever wrote:Paramedics are usually just a short distance away from all arenas. Our health care costs are high enough now.

Having the equipment to do the right thing & the people to run the equipment are hand in hand. If something went wrong at the rink with me or my friends, I don't think I would trust the rink rat's (no offense to the rink rats) diagnosis to pull the defibrillator out...

BUCK 75
Hockey Guru

Postby BUCK 75 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:09 pm

James Mirtle wrote on his blog: http://mirtle.blogspot.com

I'll say this much: North American players are certainly going to think twice about taking the money and playing in Russia.

There is ample evidence that there was extreme negligence in the Cherepanov case, from the lack of a working defibrillator to the absence of an ambulance at the game. What does it say when it's a life-threatening situation that required immediate action and there's not even a stretcher to carry him out of the arena on?

Mark Spector wrote:It is believed there was no ambulance at the arena at the time Cherepanov collapsed - it had left the rink, for some reason - and that the automated external defibrillator (AED) was not charged. It was that piece of equipment that saved the life of Jiri Fischer when he passed out on the Red Wings bench during a November, '05 game against Nashville.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2008/10/14/spector_cherepanov/
BUCK 75
Hockey Guru

Postby Cable » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:35 pm

It was confirmed today - He was doping.
Cable
Novice

Next

Return to The AJHL Hot Stove Lounge